Originally Posted by country_20boy
I've read this entire thread twice now and it looks like basically any bullet that you can stuff in a 7mm-08 hull will work, if you can point it in the right direction.
I'm currently working up loads for 3 bullets and trying to decide for a cow elk / antelope hunt this fall.

Option 1 is a 120 TTSX that I'm loading with Big Game to 3150 fps. It shoots right at 1" and I've used it for several seasons on whitetails. I have no hesitation with this bullet, except that it kinda runs out of gas at about 400 yds and I'm confident shooting it to 500.

Option 2 is a 140 Accubond. I have not yet found a load that suits me accuracy wise and I'm pretty frustrated, but I'm going to keep trying cause I have a bunch of the bullets.

Option 3 is a 150 ELDX. I have shot some promising groups, but am not happy yet due to inconsistencies. Really just started load development, so I think it will get there with some work. Even if I never hunt with this one, I want to work up the load for long range plinking.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Recommendations?

20boy,

A couple of years ago, my wife took a big bull (7x8) at a little over 400 yds using a 120 gr TTSX out of her 7mm-08AI with a MV of about 3050 fps. It was a good shot, but the bull walked uphill about 40 yds and took a while to expire. He didn't get away, but I believe at that distance, another bullet may have been more effective - ie, more destructive once hitting the animal. If I'd known she would have to make that long of a shot, I probably would have found a good 140 gr NAB load for her to shoot.

The TTSX still did the job, but I believe there are other options out there that may perform better at the longer ranges. Like you stated this one kind of runs out of gas at around 400 yds.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."