Thanks, Bill.

I went with the M&P15 MOE MID.

I had to find out what all the drama was about, but I'm a little disappointed that the rifle just sits there and hasn't run off by itself and shot something up. Seriously, I'm pleasantly surprised how much I like the rifle and AR platform - more than expected. My goals for the rifle at this point is mostly general banging and for me to learn about the AR. The components I mentioned were low cost but random stuff I used for comparison, not that I have anything against it either. That said the first 500 rounds will mostly be break in and fun. I last loaded rifle cartridges in 1998 (.270 Winchester) and I still have a bunch left - I am starting from scratch component-wise. A XL650 will do the heavy lifting. I plan to stick with the MBUS rear sight, but probably doing something tritium up front, so long range precision is not a goal for now.

I've been around long enough to know that all these plans can change halfway through the first magazine. The rifle has the mid length gas system we talked about earlier and I weighed the buffer in at 3 oz. I don't hate the trigger dry firing out the window, but we'll see over time.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost