Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by TWR
I'd skip the tritium front sight but if you want one I have one in the parts box I ain't gonna use I'd let go cheap.

Why skip it? The front sight is an M4-A2 post which I start to lose when the daylight fades. I've never used tritium on a rifle before so I'm guessing. I am concerned that the tritium sight would lose all precision similar to fiber sights for my eyes. I would prefer to stay away from an optic for now. It's a process thing for me - I prefer to start basic and learn my way up.

The one I have now is an XS systems post with the white stripe and a tritium vial running lengthwise. You turn it one full round to adjust, there is no 1/4 turn or half so if it's on it'll work great or shoot high or low if not. The tritium and white line won't let you use the top of the sight, in fact at night you will shoot high. It is also wider than I like.

I have had another one that could be sighted in fine but still shot high when relying on the tritium dot. And forget about using one with a low powered scope in low light. My shooting went south when I used either one. I have one rifle with irons only on it and with a bright light mounted in front of the post, I can see it better than in daylight. Doesn't help for shots past 100 yards or at dawn or dusk but I can live with it.