Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by AK300
most of the so called subsistence is a joke. its a bunch of activists trying to make believe they really " live off the land" please. the post office is the true subsistence source with those checks showing up every month

I would heartily take issue with such an assumption........dang, there’s that old ‘ass’ showing up again. While I don’t know anyone who doesnt use various “western” commodities such as sugar, shortening, coffee, tea, crackers and such things, there are still plenty of folks who rely heavily on subsistence resources for the bulk of their protein and a large part of their plant intake. And though there are some who sold or traded their dignity for a pittance generations ago.......and they bug the piss out of me, they do nothing more than merely exist. (Yeah. I do wish pop and other junk could not be acquired via public assistance.) But anyone who actually has a life ‘out here’, whether employed or not, is going to have a real tough go of it without subsistence resources. Assistance checks just don’t pay that well.

I've learned to appreciate that the primary elements that bind a culture from it's past to the present with hope towards the future are it's language, it's art and it's food. I'd also say that the gathering of the ingredients is more important than the recipes.

There are a whole host of social issues in the villages, no one will deny that. The solution is not easy or palatable, but subsistence/traditional hunting and fishing is IMHO the most important part of healing and moving forward. Abuse of the resources is related to the social problems which to a large degree fall at the feet of the well intentioned government and social justice folks.