Well, since I have neither art nor science on my side, and having learned about wooden smokehouses, I built my current one from the hull of a washing machine. Found some racks that fit perfectly inside, drilled some holes fore and aft for rod to hold the racks on several levels. I use aluminum foil between layers to catch drips and not get on lower levels.

It is mounted up on concrete block. I use a charcoal pan with dry alder on top for smoke, access via the concrete block up front.. Plenty of alder locally - be sure to remove the bark - it is bitter! And dry it.

Recent pic- like, minutes ago. That might be willow on top- have to check. It was "salvage" from cleared pathways, IIRC.

That reminds me - I have to walk the used dog again tonight before bed down thru the state park next door.

I too like less salt content, and use a salt/brown surgar sprinkle between layers marinated 24 hours, I taste-test it- and if necessary, rinse before hanging, then racked until a pellicle forms, then smoked for a couple hours for flavor. Then jar-canned in pints or quarts. I like it - YMMV

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 06/22/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.