I need to find a new place to hunt elk. Plain and simple, I'm tired of the unit I've been hunting.

Here are my criteria/prefrences:

State: Anywhere in the western United States that has a wild elk herd.

Type of Access: Public land, or public/private mix. Non res tag draw with zero points.

Hunting Weapon: In order: Rifle, Muzzleloader, Compound Bow. But open to any.

Style of Hunt: DIY on foot or paid outfitter [If the guided route improves/insures access via landowner vouchers, etc. Given my lack of draw points]

Terrain: I'm tired of hunting in super steep, dark timber terrain chocked full of deadfall. The result is very few glassing opportunities and very difficult miles. I'd like a different type of hunt - one where I can mix in some glassing to catch animal movement, attack terrain laterally by foot, and mix in some mountain country. Just no more wondering if I need crampons to access more country.

Other: I live in the heat of the south, so I'd rather not hunt in more heat. Preference for hunting in cooler conditions vs more heat.

Anything I'm missing? Please ask if there's more information that would be helpful.

My elk hunting years are still in front of me, and I refuse to keep plodding away in the same unit. The west is a big ol place, with elk to be found in various terrain, seasons, etc. I know the common wisdom is choose a unit, get to know it, hunt it hard. But I'd like to see more of the west, hunt elk other places, etc. This also the opportunity to become a more well rounded hunter and make new memories.

O-Ag