Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Terrain: I'm tired of hunting in super steep, dark timber terrain chocked full of deadfall. The result is very few glassing opportunities and very difficult miles. I'd like a different type of hunt - one where I can mix in some glassing to catch animal movement, attack terrain laterally by foot, and mix in some mountain country. Just no more wondering if I need crampons to access more country.

Kind of funny reading the above part of your post. For years I lived in places where hunting elk wasn’t an option yet I have watched hundreds of elk hunts on cable/satellite tv channels over the years and it always really appealed to me. The idea of glassing hillsides with scattered PJ, Oak Brush and Pine trees with scattered patches of aspen and then putting a stalk on a big bugling bull. Now I live in Colorado and am preparing for my first elk hunt here and I’ve spent a good bit of time in the mountains recently and the forest are the thickest clutter of chit I could have ever imagined, and steep......The lay down beetle kill Lodgepole and wall to wall trees makes hiking a nightmare and most of the time you can’t see 20 yards through the woods. Definitely doesn’t look like the elk hunting I watched on tv! Don’t even feel like I need binoculars anymore.