Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The 120 TTSX will do the job on elk from a 7mm-08 as will the 120 NBT. If your daugter wants to use her Tikka, you could always try them. They seem to shoot well in many Tikkas and I believe Pharmseller has a 120 gr load for his Tikkas.

I agree with the Captain. As an example the bull I shot in 2016 was about 165 yds steep up hill & to my left. The 6.5 120gr TSX entered thru the lower back edge of the left shoulder blade. It penetrated & exited out the right side armpit. It then struck the right front leg bone just above the knee. That bone is about 3" in diam. . The 120gr TSX completely shattered & shot off that leg & on into the dirt. Think about that...I realize other bullet types & weights will take elk. I have taken many elk with other bullets & recovered many of them. Never recovered a TSX..It has been my experience ( will be 74 in 9 days ) the homogeneous copper bullet like the Barnes adds a considerable amount of dependable penetration. Penetration depends on momentum which relies on retained bullet weight. I have Barnes 6.5 120gr TSX bullets recovered from the dirt bank behind my 100yd target that still weigh 120grs. That's retained weight.
I have put hunters with heavy magnum rifle's on elk at ranges from 80 to 150yds. I have seen them hit the elk multiple times ( 5 to 6 shots ) before putting them down & then still require a finishing shot. Poor bullet placement. No matter what bullet or rifle cartridge is used " A TOUGH DEEP PENETRATING BULLET PROPERLY PLACED " is essential. Practice!!!.. Mental preparation also necessary so that the brain is in control of the trigger finger & no carried away excited emotion. I give you this info because I want your daughter to be "ABSOLUTELY " successful.

Last edited by Hesp; 07/01/18.