I have 105 series Cruiser which I don't think was released in the USA. It's the live axle version of the 100 series. It's essentially a re-skinned 80 series with a wider track and roomier body. Mine is a 2001 Standard model (known here as the poverty pack). It's a no frills live axle version designed for mining and other commercial operators that need a tough, reliable 4WD wagon. It's fitted with barn doors at the rear, vinyl seats and floor coverings, part time 4WD, manual transmission, FWH and wind up windows. Mine had the 1HZ diesel which is still used in other countries that don't have strict emission laws. It's a good reliable motor but is low on power. It's a good bush motor though but getting to your destination can be a grind. The manual gearbox in that model was a derivative of one used in the Supra and some Hilux models. It has great shift qualities but has drawbacks for heavy duty applications.

I looked at newer models but they were becoming too sophisticated for a vehicle designed for bush work and had other drawbacks. The old girl was getting a little long in the tooth but I decided to keep her and give her a makeover. I decided to ditch the original 1HZ and gearbox and install another Toyota diesel, the 1HD-FTE and the heavier gearbox from the commercial series (HDJ79). Before it went in I had the injectors replaced, head overhauled, water pump and timing belt replaced. The factory turbo was fitted with a billet compressor wheel and the turbo housing and exhaust manifold were ceramic coated. A H/D clutch kit fitted as well as a top mounted intercooler, Provent can, 3" exhaust, extra fuel filtration and various intake mods. It was a big job but it was mostly a factory parts swap with all the reliability, longevity and availability of factory parts.

The result is a live axle Cruiser that has more power and better fuel economy. It returns around 11 ltrs per 100km. It also has the usual accessories like lift kit, bullbar, winch, cargo barrier and roof rack. This will do me for the next 10 years.