1.It is best to have a friend school you thru a few basics, especially a friend who has the RIGHT tools, Thanks, Ed.
2.Build a rifle. There most certainly is a carbine that will cost less than the sum of it's parts (and work well) at any price point from $499 on up.
3.You will need a dealer for the lower receiver. Buy a Rock River or whatever basic lower. Plan on just under $100. I just paid $89 each.
4. Buy two lowers. Really.
>>>HINT>>> If your dealer has Uppers and Lowers at a good price, maybe he/she will let you try a few for best fit. My dealer was out of R.R. Uppers. I ordered two Uppers for like $96 one fits REALLY nicely. The other fits better than that. The super precise fit Upper and Lower and a few special parts are seasoning in a Pink shoe box marked "next"
You can thank me later.
My dealer had a stack so I got two consecutive serial numbered lowers.
Both Lowers go on the same 4473 form, so just get it over with one background check. You will be building another one, sooner or later, just admit it.
5.Get serious about triggers. Learn to pronounce Guyz-Lee. (Do not bother to learn how to spell it, you will be in love with just about everything they produce!) Buy one.
6.Buy a lower parts kit, (without a grip) (you will not like the one in the kit) Buy a buffer tube and innards.$40-$50 EACH
7.You tube the assembly then invite that friend over and his tool kit. In a perfect world you have a huge bench vise under a serious light. In no time you will be wiping up the spilled oil and washing the grease off your hands.
8. Bookmark Brownells. (Joe Bob's too) You do not have to buy everything there...but you almost could! The new product videos are well worth the time.
9. Shop stocks, grips, and barrels...It will be easy since you are, after all building a rifle and because a fixed buttstock is less cost than a carbine type adjustable assembly. You can now justify that G-Word trigger. Some suppliers sell the entire stock assembly at a pretty good discount, maybe less than $100.
10.If you get frightened easily... you can buy a complete upper and shortcut the build to get to the range sooner. Or enjoy the huge selection of Barrels, Brakes, Gas blocks LED marker lights and Chrome bumpers!
Talk you friend into another friendly visit. If this is a really good friend, maybe they already have a "reaction bar" If not find a better friend or maybe even look at a G-Word Re-Bar. >>>This is one sweet way to build the Upper.>>> You Tube it, or better yet, buy yourself one! You and your friend only need one maybe split the cost?
See... Joe Bob done saved you 45 bucks!

Once you have this whole thing outlined...do not wait years like I did.
Your kids are crazy for LEGOs this is the same thing...only CHEAPER!
Good Luck with the HUGE AR shooting marketplace we currently enjoy.>>> Make exactly what you want.>>>

Watch 'Yer Topknot!