I've used a 28 for about 20 years, they are decent guns when used within their limitations. Mine are used for sporting clays and skeet the most with a fair bit of use on training birds and ruffed grouse, woodcock, and dove. I find it a little light for all around grouse hunting as patterns get a little patchy on distant birds when using 7 1/2 shot. Others I know don't care for the 28 when the leaves are still up as they feel there are too few pellets in the payload and not enough may find a way through the leaves to the grouse to kill it cleanly. I can't back that one way or another but I am very picky on the shots I take and probably pass up many shots they attempt. I find a 20 ga or better, my 16 ga, using 7/8 or 1 oz of shot to be a better all year gun especially once the leaves fall.

I have a Browning Cynergy, a Citori XS, and a Beretta 692 for 28s. I do not care for the pump or semiautos as retrieving hulls is a pain. You can't find them in the field and many ranges claim any hull that hits the ground. With 28 ga shells being much more expensive and not as common as 20 ga, I reload all my empties as it is very economical. At $3.50 a box or even less it sure beats buying factory loads.

As most 28 ga guns, such as those in the OP and some of mine, are built on a 20 ga frame one isn't saving any weight going to a 28 over a 20 ga. The Citori is as heavy as my 20 ga 525 though the Cynergy and Beretta are a good pound lighter including 2" less barrel length.

I do enjoy shooting my 28s and use them when I can but I find other options more versatile. For starlings and planted birds it is my second preference (a 410 is my first choice when possible) and it is often used for league sporting clays but when I want the best odds of putting game in the bag or breaking targets something larger is my choice.