Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Outstanding wood on that Franchi. Don't think I've seen one with that much grain and pattern.

Was that by chance, or did you get to pick?

Just dumb luck. I had been wanting a English stocked Deluxe 28 but by the time I got serious about ordering one, they had been discontinued. I figured eventually a used one would show but had never actually seen one. One Saturday, with nothing much to do, a buddy and I drove 2 1/2 hours to Mid South Guns in Wagram NC, a trip we make once a year. They are usually a treasure trove for neat stuff. They just happened to have a used English stocked 28 but it had a hideous recoil pad on it and the stock had been cut. I passed, but at least got to finally handle one. It was so nimble and lively that my plan was to call Benelli on Monday to see if a new replacement stock was available.
Neither of us spent any money, so after we left Mid South I suggested we drive another 30 miles to Jim's Pawn Shop in Fayetteville. As we walked in, I was disgusted that their inventory had become largely Tacti-Cool. Not expecting much, I walked to the counter where the used long guns were and my eyes instantly were drawn to the straight stocked Franchi. I couldn't see the figure of the wood from the angle it was at and figured it was a 20ga anyway but asked to hold it. When the guy handed it to me, I was in disbelief. When I finally regained my senses and came out of my reverie, I pulled my wallet out so fast I sprained my wrist.

That place is awesome!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.