Originally Posted by few
I also think Putin knows how to stroke Trump and stoke the Leftists so as to keep our country in a state of conflict. That’s not good, but just how bad it is remains to be seen.

There is no doubt in my mind that Putin finds it great sport to cause turmoil in our country. I'm certain he's been laughing his communist butt off over these accusations of collusion and the cries from our media and the Democrat Party. He probably has the same feeling someone here would get when their team won the Superbowl! The hackers will probably get an invite to the Kremlin to receive the Order of Lenin,or whatever he bestows these days.

As far as stroking Trump's ego, I am sure Putin made plans and strategy to do just that. Do think Trump and ALL of hi people are idiots. Don't think he's not been prepared for that. Question is, was Putin prepared for Trump's blasé attitude toward the whole summit? Unlike previous admins, Trump wasn't frothing at the mouth to affect some promise or change. I do see the scenario I outlined previously in play. Trump walked in, knowing he has Vlad by the balls, especially if he can get Europe totally on board. Trump doesn't even have to mention it or even bring the subject up. Vlad knows what is going on. Vlad can read the tea leaves. Vlad knows that it will cost him big cash he doesn't have to keep up with expanding NATO spending. Vlad knows that increased world oil production hammers his income. It goes without saying.

Trump can put this into action, and let it work. To make an analogy, sorta like when Putin poisons one of his opponents with polonium. They get sick and weak before dying. That's more interesting to him than the mafia style bullet to the head. Make them suffer. Trump can do the same. Hurt Putin in the checkbook until their economy really starts to suffer. Then he can call Vlad up and ask " You wanna talk now?".

Tell me a better way to deal with Putin? Putin isn't going to "give" any concessions without being forced. How can you force him? Militarily? That might work with the NORKS, but Putin knows we can't touch him. Give Putin something? Vlad takes what he wants (see Crimea). Give Vlad a chance to rebuff your advances? (see Obama's work with Putin).

No, soften him up. When he sees the inevitable, like Gorby did, then Vlad is likely to be a more cooperative partner in any number of things. Until then, Vlad is out to strengthen Russia, and Russia alone against the rest of the World.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo