Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Ken,

Flat based bullets are inherently more stable in flight than a boat tail design, so I'm not surprised by your results. For deer sized game Sierra hunting bullets kill just fine.

Never get to old to learn , so I am asking . i know the flat based bullets are good to 300 yds as that is part of score shooting ranges . I have read the boat tail is better at longer ranges . I have not shot longer ranges as my experience in competition has been 100 yds and 150 yds or less at big game .
But was wondering if the oprotunity arose how would they fare at longer ranges ?
Kenneth

I think the entire fairy tail of needing BT bullets for long ranges was foisted on the public as a selling point and they swalloed it hook line and sinker/ Look at some of the long distance Sharps firing lead bullet records

Funny you should mention that , because as I wrote the post , the 45/70 came across my mind , but thought maybe the new cartridges had some sort of advantage with a boat tail design .
Not that I haven't shot some wicked groups with the boat tail in a pile of rifles but as I said , the 222 and 6ppc got me wondering . And seems this rifle really liked the flat base , as I have tried several weights in SGK's and got some decent groups just figured this was as good as this rifle was capable of or as good as I could shoot the setup .
Kenneth