Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Ken,

Flat based bullets are inherently more stable in flight than a boat tail design, so I'm not surprised by your results. For deer sized game Sierra hunting bullets kill just fine.

Never get to old to learn , so I am asking . i know the flat based bullets are good to 300 yds as that is part of score shooting ranges . I have read the boat tail is better at longer ranges . I have not shot longer ranges as my experience in competition has been 100 yds and 150 yds or less at big game .
But was wondering if the oprotunity arose how would they fare at longer ranges ?
Kenneth

Ken,

Reasonable question. In perfectly still conditions with perfectly known distances, in theory, the flat base would always win. The trade off is one of when does the improvement in aerodynamics outweigh the initial accuracy advantage. High BC bullets make a big difference in highly varying wind conditions, and provide a better margin of error at uncertain distances. In general, the break even points typically considered to be around 300 yards, but as conditions vary, YMMV.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell