Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
The store where the Vanguard glossy wood stock the guy said another store manager had come by earlier that day to ask if they had a national sale on going. He told me he did scan the box. However, I'm going to go back tomorrow and have him scan the box "again" while I wait. $465 is pretty good anyway for a Vanguard Sport 2 and if it is a .243, I may buy it anyway for my grandson for Christmas.

It has been many years since I managed at Wal-Mart. It has been fewer years since I managed at Academy. The way it works at those (and I believe most) large chain retail outlets is like such. The buyers make decisions on what the stores will carry. The chain buys them in bulk and ships them out to the stores. Corporate monitors sales via computer inventory. Stores can too. When corporate detects a slow seller they will phase it out. They will send the stores a computer generated mark down sheet. That tells the stores to change the shelf label. The price generated by scanning the bar code on the box is controlled by corporate, not the individual store.

Wal-Mart corporate has issued the mark down and changed the price the bar code will scan at the register. If the store scans the previous markdown label they created, I am pretty sure it will give the price shown on the label the store created. I don't think either Wal-Mart or Academy issues regional mark downs, though they could have started since I was last there. It is not at all uncommon for the hourly employees and even the management team to not fully understand the process.

That's it in a nutshell. There may be someone with more recent experience than me who can tie up any loose ends in my comments. Calling it a corporate markdown is a better way to describe it than a national sale.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/16/18.