In 1971, while stationed in Taiwan, I met a little Chinese girl. We married in 1974 and were inseparable until her death in1988. She was my best friend, hunting and fishing partner and drinking buddy...I was not complete without her. We had no close friends and neither of us had family so when she died I was alone. Two days after her funeral I was in bed trying not very successfully to sleep when I felt some one sit on the edge of what had been our bed. It was her. We talked for a while and I apologized for screwing up her funeral and a lot of other things. She forgave me, kissed my cheek and was gone. Two years later, I was working as a heavy truck mechanic in Anchorage. I had gone in to work on a Sunday morning. Had to walk through a foot and a half of fresh snow to get into the shop. Mine were the only tracks in that snow. As often happened back then, I felt a depression coming on so I stepped out side for a little fresh air. When I opened the door I felt a warmth come over me and realized she was there. I breathed deeply and felt the depression lift. Looking down at the snow I saw, on top of my tracks, the chop stick she used to hold up her hair.

My God, how I miss her.