Originally Posted by 16bore
If you wanna spend the time, you can sometimes find a deal from someone walking the floor trying to sell a rig. Looneys drool and can be easy to bargain with. But I reckon it can be a pig in a poke too.

Got my favorite rifle, a Ruger M77 .257 Roberts just that way. Literally backed up a step and into a guy with the rifle over his shoulder. $400 and it included a Leupold M8-4x in the rings, so gently used there were no scratches in the bluing under the slide safety. Had just sold a shot-out Savage .22-250 for $250 and had purchased an M8-4x a month earlier for $100, so i figure the swap to .257 Roberts cost me $50. ($400 minus $100 for the scope minus $250 for the Savage I sold.)

Found a stainless Walther PPK/s at a price I couldn't pass up. Now I see them on Gunbroker for 2x and up from what I paid.

Picked up a stainless Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag for $275 and some stuff no one else was interested in buying and I needed to get rid of. It had a minor problem, which Ruger fixed for free.

Also got a NIB Ruger Scout .308 for $200 less than I've seen one anywhere else. Handy rifle, especially with the quieter synthetic mags in place of the factory steel.

And a Savage FXP3 .243 Win for $295 out the door. It shot bugholes with the first load I tried.

My first .30-06 wA gun show purchase, a used 1984 M77 purchase in late 2006 for a pitance. Shoots great.

So were my Marlin 375 (.375 Win) and Marlin 336C (.30-30). Purchased cheap and I'm very happy with both.

My Interarms Mark X action was a gun show purchase that is now my custom 6.5-06AI. Picked up 5 clay pigeons off the 600 yard berm with it about 3 weeks ago. Got two in a row twice. Hit rate was about 40-50%. Glad I bought that action.

There are gun show deals if you can find them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.