Originally Posted by tzone
I may be the only guy that says this but... I use Berkley Fireline on almost everything I have except my slip bobber rods.

Spinning rods for walleye/northern I used Fireline Crystal, Black, or Chartreuse. I like the 14/6 pound test. I put piece of electrical tape on the spool so the line doesn't slip. on the end of the line I tie on a swivel and then about a 3-4' piece of mono, typically Berkley Triline XT or XL 6 or 8 pound test. 8 pound if I'm jig fishing and there is a chance of catching a pike.

The mono leader is used so I can break off a jig if it's hung up in wood or rocks, tie back on quick and get the line back in. You simply won't break the fireline if your snagged.

The only reason mono is used on my slip bobber rigs is because the fire line is too slippery and the bobber stop won't stay in place.

This is about EXACTLY how I do it too and once you get used to setting the hook while jigging or trolling with Fireline, it's really hard to go back to mono. Too much stretch for me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...