My first one I paid for was a Remington 742, 30/06 of course, when I was 12 or 13 yrs. old. Paid for it by raising Irish potatoes and mowing yards. And I never got over $5 for any yard I mowed by myself. It was also the 1st gun I ever sold. Paid 165 for it and sold it for same if I remember correctly. Bought a used Rem. 1100 3" mag for 135 a year after that. When I sold the 30/06, I bought a new 77R in 25/06. Wish I still had it. But sometimes life comes at you hard and those things you think you will never get rid of have to go.

In reference to someone above saying his gun was officially his mother's, the gentleman who owned the local hardware store never filled out a form for any gun I ever saw bought/sold in his establishment. I'm sure he filled some out and just signed them himself. I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out on them, and besides, he has been deceased for a number of years. But he allowed a young fellow like me to buy what I wanted and pay it out $5-10 a month. Whatever I could spare. During the Summer I could afford more. Always had great respect for the man. I wonder if anyone else does business like that these days. I sure do miss the old hardware store.