Drover made all good suggestions and your Savage 23 is a good one too! The Remington 510 series rifles have only one issue and that’s the trigger (as mentioned) - only so much can be done with the design to make it “better”. I would also add the Mauser series rifles (340s, 350s, 410 & 420s, & 201s) which sometimes can be found fairly reasonable. Kleinguenthers, some Voeres, Stevens (416) & some single shot versions, Savage 19, Winchester 72, Walther KKJ and KKM, early Anschutz, and Marlin 1897 & 39s are all that I have experience with and all shot great. Many are not scope compatable and if in good condition would not be something that I would drill and tap. I shoot many with factory irons or period receiver/tang sights. There are probably many others that I’m forgetting but seems like most pre-60s .22s shot very well even many of the “cheap” single shot versions. Good luck - I’ve found it a lot of fun over the years picking up older 22 rifles that I was not familiar with, to see how they shot, and was often times pleasantly surprised - plus many of these older less “popular” rifles can be had at reasonable prices.

PennDog