Actually, there are few .22's from the 20th century that don't rate ownership by gun cranks. A couple I've studiously avoided were Nobles, Floberts, and Quackenbushes. Even they have their place in the overall scheme of things.

A neat pump design that simply doesn't work worth a tinker's dam (at least the couple I owned) was the Stevens Visible Loader. Interesting and innovative from nigh on 100 years ago, it has a universal reputation for unreliability. Nickname: "The Miserable Loader." In their defense I've heard of a couple that were dead reliable, but I never saw one like that.

Another neat old autoloader that does work reliably was the Savage 6/Stevens 87- what's called the "click clack repeater". (The bolt stays retracted if you hold back the trigger and releases when the trigger is released- takes some getting used to, but rapid fire is no problem with one afterwards.) They also have a feature whereby the bolt knob can be manipulated to lock the bolt for single shot use. Kind of hard to describe, you have to see one and play with it to fully understand it. Mine shoots like a young target rifle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty