Originally Posted by 805
Great shooting Pat!! Just curious. You ever run a dedicated copper solvent after the butch’s just to see if anything might be left? I know that a few years ago the butch’s solvent changed and it has been said to be less of a copper cleaner now.

I always look after I'm done with my Hawkeye bore scope...this barrel is 100% copper free right now. Barrels vary, some will build a trace, while still shooting great, others will be completely clean. I've found after the throats start getting some wear and tear, the lands will have an orange peel look,(rough)and they will build copper, and carbon there. I can still get it out with a good scrubbing with a bronze brush.

I'm not real big on cleaning very often. It the rifle is shooting good, I'll run it, and not worry too much about it. I did a test one time with one of my comp .308's. I cleaned it, shot three five shot groups, then didn't clean it for over 1,000 rounds, then before cleaning it, fired three more five shot groups. All six groups looked the same. That was a Krieger 1-11.25" 5R. It still shot good after 8,000+ rounds. I think there's been a lot of barrels wrecked by cleaning too often..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]