Originally Posted by handwerk
My 300 H&H comes pretty close to what you're planning, it's a pre 64 M70 action, Lilja #2 @24" Echols legend stock, factory BM and with a swaro Z3 3-10x42 on top in comes in at 7 3/4 lbs, shoots and handles wonderful.

Yep, excellent choice there. I also have a semi custom pre 64 built on the H&H receiver, that is now a 338WM. The thing is 8 pounds all up and drives tacks. When I had the Swaro 3-9x36, it was 7 3/4 pounds. That's right around the weight the OP is looking for. A light barrel and stock make a lot of difference when it comes to lightening a model 70. Forgot to mention my 338 wears a Brown PoundR, which is very light and rigid. The ergo's of the stock really help to mitigate the recoil of the magnums. One warning I have about using a hunter's compact edge. They really don't help to soak up magnum recoil... A stock's comb that is more parallel to the axis of the bore, and with less drop, usually mitigates recoil better. Kimber has a really well designed stock, very similar to the brown poundR, I use on my 338..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You could always try a Bansner on a model 70 as well, they have similar ergo's as the kimber montana stock:
[Linked Image]

As for just going out and buying a Kimber montana, well you takes your chances there.. However, some guys here have been pretty good at rolling the dice lately... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA