Originally Posted by dale06
I owned a Kimber Montana in 270wsm. It shot poor groups before I sent it back to Kimber.
They did nothing but provided a three shot target at 1.25” and said it was in spec. It was a 50 yard group.
Sold it, and never looked back or at another Kimber.

I had a similar experience with Kimber. A Classic .308 had a tight spot 2" from the muzzle that I could see with the Hawkeye, feel with a patch. I would shoot 1 1/2" at best. Kimber said that was w/i their spec. Well, not mine, not with a .308. A slightly heavier Broughton 5C barrel turned it into a half inch tack driver. The slightly heavier barrel shifted weight forward. Still light, but balances better. I had gotten the gun used for a good price, so the Broughton didn't put me under water regarding value. I could sell it and recover costs.

Now regarding the .300 WM. Before building an ultra light .300 WM, you may need to shoot one before spending a bunch of money on something you may not like. I traded for an Ed Brown Damara .300 WM. Ed developed the 704 action, which is a CRF round bolt, pretty neat design. Ed said his light barreled magnums (Damara) shot better with a brake, so all his magnum Damaras had a muzzle brake. I'm not much of a muzzle brake fan, but after shooting this one a time or two without it, didn't take long to put it back on.

The McM made stock is identical to their Hunters Edge, Ed's paint pattern is proprietary and the gun came equipped with a Jewell trigger. I've heard he used Shilen Match barrels and finished these rifles with one of his proprietary coatings. LAW bought the 704 design and Ed's tooling when he dropped his rifle line. I don't know if their guns are quite up to what Ed built. I hear reports both ways.

This gun with the heavy Victory scope is 8#'s 7 oz, but carries well and doesn't feel that heavy. Without the 20 oz scope it's an ounce or two over 7#'s. I would not want a lighter 300 WM. To me, the Victory is worth the extra weight.

IMO and IME.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]