Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by humdinger
I owned a henry 22 rifle that had so much plastic and poorly designed magazine retention systems that I wouldn't even look at anything else.

7600 is universal and I wouldn't get a carbine... carbine is too loud and velocity loss. The nice thing about a pump is your hands don't leave the stock. You would have a gun with mare range capability if needed.

Marlin 336 would be my other choice. Find a used one to get nicer wood. An old long barreled 336A is my preference.

A browning is tempting, but I would find a savage 99 just for the old red wool cool factor. 300 savage is a fantastic deer round.

Good luck in your quest and tell us if you buy one.

You sure won’t lose much velocity on a car one to matter. And no way in hell you’d lose so much that it would be the 30-30 range of the lever.

I would agree with humdinger if talking about a carbine in 30/06. I haven't shot a 760/7600 carbine but I have shot 30/06s with 18-20" barrels over a chronograph. They are definitely loud, seemingly as loud as my 300 mag with the BOSS brake on it. You probably don't want to shoot it without some degree of hearing protection. If using standard factory ammo velocity seems to be in the range of a hotter factory 308 load using the same bullets. I suspect similar rounds such as the 270 would have similar outcomes.

If looking at a 308 carbine I would have fewer compunctions. Muzzle blast seems to be less offensive and velocity seems to be less affected. At least the ration of loss was less in comparison. These were with AR platforms.