Originally Posted by J23
I haven't "froze" anything deer meat, save for a few neck roasts, in years. I cut out the straps and loins, cube and can the rest. The heart, liver, tongue, kidneys, straps and loins usually get eaten within a few days to a week. I cube it, do a rinse to rid the meat of excess blood, cold pack with no water, and into the pressure canner they go. I do pints because it's more practical, but my buddy does quarts as he has more mouths to feed. He uses a tablespoon of salt, I don't.

A few weeks back, I cracked the seal on a pint from 2012 (must have missed it in the rotation.) It was just fine.

I can a lot of potatoes, tomatoes, corn and peppers from the garden, along with jams, soups, sauces and just about everything else. My problem is, I run out of places to stow it in my little cabin.

Originally Posted by acy
Always have a bunch of canned venison on hand. I also have a dozen or so jars of canned squirrel meat. When boneless, skinless chicken breast is on sale, try canning a bunch of that. Makes for quick, easy sandwiches, soups, tacos etc..... Shame that canning is becoming less common. I figure my wife and I could live about two years just on what we have canned.

Care to share your technique for canning the squirrel? I've always wanted to try it, but never have.

I canned a bunch of rabbits a few years back when I was overrun with em. Just quartered em up, added chicken bouillon and hot peppers. Most tender rabbit I've ever eatin! I bone my old layin hens when they stop layin. Bone em out and a whole chicken fits in a quart jar. Excellent in soups and burritos! A chicken flavor you can't find in stores.