Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
In kind of a reverse of the old saying....when it comes to fire, its better to be good than lucky.

Dont make your house a looser.

very true. sometimes it can get so tough that one can't hardly fight fire with fire. i think Cali is getting some of those conditions.

when so much damage accrues, whose fault was it? Mother Nature, the feds, the un, the state, the city/county, the homeowner, the insurance company, the fire dept?

what if it ain't nobody's fault? so, it defaults to Mother Nature? would that be a fair assessment?

Mother Nature can be devisitating. However, fires are needed. Lighting strikes in heavily wooded areas etc....

My take on this situation in California is the states bull spit regs, tree hugger, bug lovers are at fault for the last 40 years.

I hunt the areas that have burned and may very well get burned. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t happen.

If you have not been up into the Sierra Nevada forests, Butte county, Yuba County, placer county.... you would see
see that it’s only a matter of time before it’s hell on earth.

I literally have hunted dead fall for miles, 6’ tall....... logs, sticks, a foot plus of pine needles. it’s a nightmare waiting to happen.

I blame the tree hugging voters and government.

It’s only a matter of time until hunting zone d3-d5 burn.
And that time is getting close.

If the fire jumps Lake Oroville, and gets going it’s going to be bad.

I propose the state send prisoners to start clearing out the forests of dead fall if we can’t burn, log or clear cut.
Let inmates earn their hot cot and 3 meals a day. And send these liberals back to the states they came from.

What you note is part of the changing wildfire environment. We have had hundreds of thousands acres of very productive forest lands burn within 50 miles of us over the past 5 years. On private lands, trees killed by the fires are often logged and are on their way to the mill before the fire is totally out. On USFS and BLM land (lots of both in Southern Oregon) it can take several years or more to get through the environmental and administrative process to put their trees up for sale. By then, the bugs are in the trees, they aren't sold and within 5 to 6 years they become dense deadfall. This creates a great fire environment and a very dangerous firefighting environment.

Not always the case, locally we had a fire two summers ago and salvage sales went through this past spring/summer, logging started, and then the lawsuits started. If not mistaken, the judge allowed logging to continue while the suit goes through instead of granting an injunction.

One for the good guys I guess. Wish they all could go that way.

You're mostly right about the way they go usually.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?