This project first appeared on my drawing board almost 4 years ago. The original idea was to build a unique big bore hunting rifle. The design coalesced around components I have read about in the writings of some favorite authors: Keith, O’Conner, Seyfried, Capstick, Taylor, Bowen, Zeglin, and Smith all have had some influence on my planning for this rifle.

It was to be an American rifle. And it is. It is also a global, since the design concepts borrow from many countries. For example, I ultimately decided on a 98 Mauser action. The barrel has an ovate profile. A scope is a practical necessity, but somewhere I saw a Rigby style cocking piece sight. It is very classy and it too became part of the design. This complicated the design by requiring a detachable scope mount and a custom stock dimensions. The stock is black walnut because it is uniquely American. Damascus skeleton grip cap and butt plates are added because I like the look.

This rifle is no wall hanger. I plan to shoot it, a lot. Since it a big bore, the rifle must shoot cast bullets, well. This is partially about cost, but not entirely. Veral Smith taught me cast can be just as accurate, deadly, and shot at full power. This is especially true for this caliber.

I only pondered over the cartridge only a little. Originally this rifle was to be a .411 Hawk. In the course of researching the Hawk, I came across the Petrov articles on the Whelen. Petrov’s work and some snags collecting info on the Hawk caused me to conclude no game animal would be able to tell the difference in the Hawk or the Whelen. Also, the Whelen is more of a classic, so a 400 Whelen it is.

I was determined to use the best materials and craftsmen I could find. It was a challenge to figure just who and what that is and believe those decisions proved out. As I write this into, the rifle is still a work-in-progress. The barreled action has been delivered. I have shot it to perfect the pattern for the stock, to fire form brass, and for sight adjustment. I am working on the final stock now.

Perhaps the best way to proceed is to write sub-treads discussing each aspect of the build; action, barrel, stock, sights, ammo/reloading, etc., provided I can figure out how to do so on this site. I have lots of pictures.

One pet peeve I feel obliged to share. I often wonder what some extravagant undertaking costs, as a read about them. While I do not consider this project cheap, I am a frugal, if not cautious guy. I have paid for each item as the pieces-parts were delivered and will share those costs, for the similarly curious.

Onward to the action…