Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Any of you gents shoot 41 mag pistol bullets in your 400 Whelens?

In all the loads I've tested in mine I've not run any pistol bullets through it. I have shot some 300 and 400 grain cast and have a mold for 265 grain LBT wide long nose gas check that I use in my 41 magnum though I've not tried them in the 400. The issue I run into with mine is that it doesn't like short bullets and doesn't feed them well. Even the short 300 grain bullets from Hornady and the 300 grain cast don't feed well. If I keep the COAL out around 3.330 or longer they feed great, regardless of profile. I have not had a smith work on it because to be honest, feed work is best left to those who truly know what they are doing and I do not know anyone in Alaska who can do it. I'm sure there are some smiths here capable of fine tuning the feeding but I do not know who they are. It also hasn't been that big a concern to me. I really don't see the short bullets as viable hunting bullets and I'm not much of a plinker with my hunting rifles. The 300 grain Barnes TSX, Hawk 350 and 400 RN, Swift 350 A Frame, North Fork 300 and 360, the Woodleigh 400 RN and my 400 grain cast all feed perfectly. I can shoot the cast somewhat reduced if I want an inexpensive practice bullet.

I do have a box of the Sierra 170 HPs. I'll bet they'd make a coyote turn inside out fired from my Whelen. Might have to single load them though. That's a really short bullet.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.