Originally Posted by Caribou

For the Burch books, theres ''Caribou Herds of Northwest Alaska'' (you can see why I read this guys stuff!)

''The Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska''

''Social Life in Northwest Alaska''

'' Inupiaq Ethnohistory''

''Alliance and Conflict''

''Eskimo Kinsmanship, Changing Family Relationships in Northwest Alaska''

What makes them fascinating, to me, is that I actually know/knew alot of the folks he interviewed and worked with. As well, his descriptions of conditions and places that are relevant to me in a personal way.

I dont know which to buy first, I enjoy them all

One other good book is published by the National Park Service ''Kuuvanmiut Subsistence; Traditional Eskimo Life in the latter 20th Century'', basically a description of the area, its resources and how it was done and how it is done, today.
Also, in that book, is a description by Lucy Foster, on page 88 she describes hunting with my fatherinlaw, (then known as Koksiinaq) on her back and his older sister' Belle'(Aqtuq) hunting Rabbits with a shotgun, at the turn of the Century. He was born 1903, and given the name 'Joe Carter' by the Census, a Missionary, because Eskimo names were ''Heathen'', (They were saving souls left and right back then with re-nameing people) but he didnt use the English name until the early 40's when he signed up for the Alaska Territorial Guard, and Social Security

Really, everyone of us here has an excellent story to tell, if only we all wrote......

Inupiaq Eskimo Nations of Northwest Alaska is on the way.