Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My favorite is Alaska's Wolfman about old Frank Glaser and written by the wonderful story teller Jim Reardon. I think I have three books about Bud Conkle and his wife LeNora and my Mom visited together often. I believe she is gone also. They lived about 20 miles down the road from my parents place on the Slana River. They bought some property from Harry Boyden, a grand old Englishman who guided for many years in the Wrangell's. He started guiding early in the 20th century. I am afraid his story is lost in time as most that knew him are gone.

Shadows of the Koyukuk is a good read about Jimmy Huntington and my wife and I visited him in Galena in 2007 after our Koyukuk moose hunt and had him autograph his book. He was friends with my wife's parents and was 91 then and is also gone. My wife's grandparents bought the house Jimmy's dad built in Nulato during the "gold rush" days. My wife's mom died early and her Dad was a Deputy U.S. Marshal covering a huge area on the Yukon River during Alaska's territory days and was gone a lot. So her and her sister and 3 cousins and 2 other kids all lived in that one room house for awhile with the grandparents. A bit crowded, but full of love.

James ".450 Watts" is a very good read about and Alaskan school teacher who landed in Valdez in 1936 and walked to Fairbanks on the Valdez Trail and later settled in Seward. His wife and him and her brother were very adventurous and would flat take a hike. Like walking cross country from Seward to Skilak and making brown bear jerky on the way! I know there is and has been all kinds of talk about who is responsible for the .450 Alaskan, .458 Lott and .458 Win. Reading his book has changed my mind on who should be getting credit for some of those big bores.

Yukon Trophies Won and Lost took place in Canada and Alaska and it is a favorite read. Damn tough men that loved to hunt. Jim Reardon has written many books on Alaska and it's men and women and he is and excellent story teller, ya can't go wrong with his stuff.

I miss "old Alaska",,,,

Sidney Huntington. Super nice man indeed.