I recently got to look at and handle 5 NIB 2-7x33 counterfeit VX-2s. Everything about them physically would lead you to believe that they were genuine Leupold products except two things; the end labels on the boxes are slightly different, smaller in physical and print size, and the gold ring on the scope isn't stamped with the model series and style. All 5 scopes that I looked at had the same serial number, 434670X. I set 1 of the counterfeit scopes side by side with a genuine Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 and they look identical, except for the series and model stamp in the gold ring on the objective bell and the serial numbers.

The point being that if you're looking at buying a Leupold scope or a used rifle with a Leupold scope, I'd suggest taking a close look at the gold ring to confirm that it has the correct series and model stamped into it before paying for it.

I spoke to the owner of a local pawn shop who told me that he over-valued, at least in pawn shop terms, a used rifle that he took in trade because it had a 3.5-10x40 VX-2 on it and only after he'd made the deal and the trader had gone did he take a close look at the scope and realize that it was a fake.