Originally Posted by mtnsnake
How do they get passed customs?

The ones on eBay are coming from China and Hong Kong, probably via China Post, and delivered in the U.S. by USPS.

My friend ordered his via eBay and about 3 weeks later they arrived on his front steps.

This post was intended as a caution for people who might buy a used Leupold scope or a used rifle with a Leupold scope to look closely at them, as at least some of the fake Leupolds are very close/good copies. The counterfeiters went to a lot of effort to duplicate the boxes, box fillers, and scopes with, I assume, the intend to defraud the buyers. A knowledgeable shooting sports enthusiast might spot the difference sooner than later, but the average guy probably wouldn't and might pay a premium price for a less than premium product. I have over 100 Leupold scopes in service, so while not claiming to be an expert on them, I've been around them for over 40 years and without looking closely, or better yet calling Leupold and asking for a serial number confirmation, I would have been taken in by any of the 5 counterfeit 2-7x33s that I've seen, just as the local pawn broker was taken in by the counterfeit 3.5-10x40 that he traded into.

Bottom line is there are variety of counterfeit Leupold styles coming into the U.S., so a prudent buyer must be aware of them and guard himself accordingly.