Originally Posted by Walker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Maybe fifty years ago in England I bought a sheath knife (as we called 'em back then) for my older brother, it has a laminate wooden handle topped with a brass horse's head, no crossguard at all. Something was etched on the blade in small script rather than block letters. He still has it, he's up in NY State but based upon the blade shape and general configuration I believe its prob'ly a Mora. I believe it came from Sweden and even back then I was surprised at the relatively low cost for the quality.

Horse Head Puukko

These are still being made, ... in Finland. Ragweed Forge has them for sale.

Tks, that's the one. Apparently these things are/were a big deal in Finnish and regional Nordic culture...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko

In Finland, receiving a puukko as a gift is considered an honor, the idea being that the presenter is giving the recipient a tool which is essential for both woodworking and preparing food and as a weapon and that the presenter takes into account the well-being of the recipient.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744