Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
I tried some loads of 405 Remington FNSP using large rifle CCI primers over 15.2 grains of Unique yesterday. I had several Failures to Fire even though the primers were clearly struck hard. Plus, among those that fired I had sticky extraction. The primers were not flattened and the brass looked OK but I think I was experiencing high pressure spikes. I put those loads away and will disassemble them this week. I am going to stick with my H4895 loads. They shoot dirty like Remington's trapdoor loads but are well-mannered and appear accurate.

T.S.

I experienced powder bridging throwing Unique in a rifle powder measure. I was trickling the last bit of powder so it was obvious right away. I broke out the old school Lee dippers, and dipped/trickled.

I don't know if you may have possibly been having powder bridging issues, but I have never had inconsistent ignition or indicators of pressure using Unique with the 405gr cast bullets.

Montana, the loads were correct and consistent. Since they were so light, I trickled each one. But, thanks for the caution. I have not tried any more loads with Unique. I'm staying with H4895. It's not "cat sneeze" but it's pretty quiet.

Thanks to all for your contributions to this thread!

T.S.

Last edited by TexasShooter; 12/09/18.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!