Originally Posted by tomk

BTW, to the OP, shot a seven, nothing to write home about (UP). We saw some smaller racked bucks but some of them looked like older deer, not pencil-necked 1 1/2 yr olds. Maybe the antler development was retarded by the "spring" weather in our area. The DNR was worried about a die-off and we didn't see any more than the usual carcass numbers on our look-see scout in the spring. Did see a very large buck with his antlers missing save for a couple inches--maybe he got too close to a a truck early on or something.

I remember the '94 or '95 season I saw the biggest deer in person, dead or alive, in my life. Our camp was south of Seney that year and we went to the Tally-Ho in Curtis for a burger and a beer. There was a crowd outside surrounding a 5 x 10 trailer with a magnificent buck in it. The antlers hung out the front of the trailer and it's hind legs hung out the other end. Had to be 250#. The bases were damn near as big as my wrist. I don't remember the points, just the solid mass of the huge, prefect rack. A few weeks later we saw it on Fred Trost's big buck night TV show.

That's the buck I dream about on stand and wonder if there's another roaming the Michigan north woods.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin