Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Seafire,

Wind-drift is NOT dependent on bullet weight. Instead it's totally dependent on two factors, given the same atmospheric conditions: ballistic coefficient and muzzle velocity.

The 30-grain V-Max has just about exactly the same BC as the 40-grain CCI HP. But the 30 V-max starts out faster, so shoots flatter and drifts less in the wind at any range. I know this not just from theory but from shooting a bunch of different .22 Magnum loads in the field.

Thanks for a clarification to the campfire... I;ll admit to shooting the 30 V Max in the Marlin 22 Mags I have, but not really any more than at the range or at a gopher or two in the yard.. since I live right off of what use to be a golf course...but I've never tested it out for distances out to 200 yds or more...

I know its more accurate that my old tried and true 40 grain CCI HPs and FMJs...

and after Obummer got into office, I tended to load the old 223 bolt action down to those sort of velocities with 40 grain bulk plastic tip bullets and 50 grain TNTs....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez