Ok for what its worth and from someone that has owned a Chessie. Also French Brittany's and English Pointers.

First and foremost, MAKE SURE YOU FIND A REPUTABLE BREEDER! I can not state that enough. This is important in every breed but in my opinion even more so with Chessie's.

Make sure you have it tested for ALS!!!!!!!!! I had to put down an amazing Chessie that hunted hard all day on land and water. She was only 8-1/2 years old.

Chessie's have a lot of reputations some deserved and some not, Most Not!

Of course a Chessie is not going to run with Pointers and Spaniels. But it will out run you all day long. The problem really is people don't keep their dog's fit and fed right.

If you socialize your puppy properly you will be ten steps ahead with a Chessie. If you don't you better want a protective dog.

Chessie's DO NOT respond well to a heavy hand.

Females are smaller framed and better suited for the Upland Fields. From my experience with mine and a few others I have really spent time with, they also seem to socialize better then Male's.

Unlike everyone else I am not here to talk you into or out of a Chessie. But rather give you first hand facts, not hearsay, myths, and legends.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.