I shot my first match last year. I plan to do 3 or 4 this year, just for fun.

I ran a Criterion LV contour 700 chambered in 6.5 creed. 24" barrel. No can or brake. I threw it in a Grayboe Terrain stock with DBM. Glass was a 10x swfa. This was basically a chunky hunting rifle and not ideal for the PRS game in terms of weight & recoil. I suppose it weighed 6-8 lbs less than most rigs I shot against(majority bolt guns). It also cost about $5,000 less.

After the second stage I was wondering WTF I got myself into. I was a little nerved up after the barricade kicked my ass but started to settle down and have fun after that. I shoot a lot but the challenges I encountered at this match definitely put me out of my comfort zone. I ended up in 28th place out of 42 shooters. I guess that's probably where I deserved to be. This was an "Open" class match so the majority of the shooters had significantly more match experience than I.

I processed the experience for a couple weeks and decided that I would go back for more. I'd say keep it simple and avoid buying every gadget out there. IMO you'll want a low recoiling rifle(1/2 moa capable) that accepts 10 rd mags, a small rear bag, a game changer bag, a bipod, and a scope that tracks reliably. The 10x SWFA did not handicap me and we shot out to 1200 yards. Most of the match was between 400 & 850 yards. Learn your dope, practice on a barricade, do lots of dry firing and I'm sure you'll do well and have fun. I had my dope figured out but had done nothing in preparation beyond that.

Good luck!