If you’re looking to invest a little money, but not much, I would look at the Ruger American Predator in 6 Creedmoor, put it in an MDT ESS chassis, and run your SWFA 10x. Weight and adjustability are your friends in a PRS rifle.

Last year I left my DMRII at home and shot a SWFA 10x, just to show guys new to the sport that you don’t need a $10k rig to compete and have fun. I placed 2nd at a one-day match that drew 55 competitors from across Canada. I had the cheapest scope of the bunch, by far. The lack of Christmas tree reticle was not ideal and cost me a few points on a stage like Alan described, but otherwise it was not a hindrance. You can be reasonably competitive without spending thousands on a scope.

IME, .224” bullets launched from an AR just don’t move the plates enough to let the spotters reliably call hits. You may give up a few points because you made the hit but the spotters couldn’t discern it. I find that 6mm bullets are the threshold for reliably seeing impacts. Because they also offer less recoil than larger calibers, those 6mm chamberings are about ideal, and are dominantly popular. Yes, barrel life is shorter than with a 6.5 or 7mm, but barrels, like powder and bullets, are consumables. It’s the cost of doing business in this game.

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of what Alan mentioned regarding recoil. You have to spot your own misses and hits, and call your own corrections, so you NEED to be able to control recoil and spot the shot. A good brake is extremely helpful here. The Badger FTE is very effective, although very loud and concussive. The PVA Mad Scientist is effective at reducing recoil and not nearly as concussive. The Insite Arms Heathen is similar.

I agree with dakotagun on the 10-round mags, rear bag, Gamechanger, bipod, etc. But for your first match, don’t worry about all the bags, guys are usually very generous with new shooters and will likely let you borrow a bag or two for stages where they’re an asset.

Practice shooting off of various barricades, and natural but uncomfortable supports, as much as possible. Learning to shoot accurately from awkward positions is the name of the game here. Dry fire helps a lot. Google IOTA and you can practice in your basement with a printout of a field of targets, scaled appropriately, available online if you look around.