Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by MZ5
The Lapua and Norma cases we used were both non-ballon-head cases, meaning the bottoms of the cases are flat on the inside. Hornady cases, at least the ones I’ve always received, _are_ ballon-head, so there would be a capacity difference between them and the Lapuas that one would expect to make a difference in pressure.

MZ5, thanks for the information. I'm assuming that any differences in case volume due to the ballon-head/non ballon-head would show up in weight differences, as would case thickness differences?

Sure, but the trick is to know how much of any weight difference is due to which of those differences. An SR-pocket case of necessity has more brass in it, at least if it's non-balloon-head. So it's heavier because of that, but no more capacious.

The reason we chose to compare those Lapua SR vs. Norma LR was, in part, because they were both flat-bottom cases. I don't find it terribly tedious to measure the volume of fired brass, but I realize that we're all different in what we find tedious.