One of the problems with break barrels is, well, the breaking barrel. The scope is on the "receiver," so unless it's a really high quality/price gun, the likelihood of getting repeatable alignment of barrel and scope, amd therefore accuracy, is low. I had a scope on my gamo whisper 22 and it shot ok some of the time. I took the scope off and use the irons, and it's DNO all the time. It shoots cheapo crosman pellets from Walmart inside an inch at 35 yards and is devastating on red squirrels. The irons also improve the close quarters combat outcomes when squirrels are in the garage. The trigger on the whisper has a long pull, but it's predictable and clean. It's also very quiet. My go-to backyard defense weapon was a 1970s vintage Sheridan blue streak, but I've been using the gamo more because it's quiet and doesn't require pumping. My kill ratio has gone way up since I started using the gamo more, so perhaps the combination of accuracy and quick reloads makes the gamo a better tool for that job. Find the gamo on sale for 100-125 bucks, throw away the scope, load up on a couple of tins of 500 crosman premier hollow points for 8 bucks a tin, and the garden raiders and tree rats won't have a chance. Just remember that the gamo is no heirloom. I'm sure my kids will be using the Sheridan long after I'm dead, and the gamo's many plastic pieces will have fallen apart by then.