Originally Posted by utah708
Nope, but the amount of weight in the action puts them behind the curve for a true mountain rifle from the outset. The MRC bolt I just weighed is 14.5 oz, and a NULA 9.5. The MRC is derived from blending the M70 and M98 action--neither of which are light weight. Just pull a MRC from a stock and look at the amount of metal below the waterline and you will see what I mean.

There is also the chance that advertised and actual weight for the rifle will differ. The Extreme X2 was advertised at 6# 14oz, but as the thread below indicates, some were substantially heavier than that:

"Overweight" X2 Extreme

I have the exact gun discussed in the thread above--one of the special order of 1-8 twist .243 Win, and its bare weight on a accurate digital scale is 7# 10 oz . That is 3/4# more than the advertised weight.

I have no bone to pick with MRC. I bought two or three of their $350 charter sale actions just when they were starting out, and as someone who grew up in Montana, I thought a Montana action would be a cool thing. They can be the basis for fine rifles; just know that it is not a light design.

A couple points. First, I understand the size and weight of the action, as I have owned/handled quite a few. That doesn't necessarily make it impossible to make a sub 6lb gun. The biggest challenge they are likely to have is getting it to balance well. Second, the advertised weight vs tje actual weight of your X2 is in no way relevant as that was a marketing practice of prior leadership. The X3 I have is within about an ounce of it's advertised weight.