Originally Posted by GSSP
This past, 2018, year, I shot a new Taylor Comanchero (Uberti) in CAS matches. I scratched the itch and the bug didn't stick. Sold my SxS and SASS revolvers. Decided to keep the 1873 a bit longer to hunt deer before selling it. It's a beautiful rifle with great wood, elk leather butt and lever wrapped and a 20" octagon barrel. I installed a taller front sight to help with impact. Shot only bunny fart loads running my own 215 gr Lee RNFP and 5 gr Trailboss. As the fall approached, I took both my 230 gr FN LBT and 284 gr WFN LBT molds and cast up a supply for testing and hunting. Air cooled wheel weights gave about 12 BHN; IIRC. Searched the interned for confirmed "Colt" level (14,000 psi) loads for both the 230 gr and 270 gr RCBS 45-270-SAA (weighs 280) bullets. Test 15 common 45 Colt powders for the 230 gr and 9 common powders for the 284 gr. With the 230 gr I got anywhere from 746 fps with Titegroup to 1182 fps with Alliant 28/20. Five shot groups at 50 yds ran anywhere from .875" to 4.6". If I were to hunt with the 230 gr FN I would choose 10.5 gr of AA #5 for 1123 fps and it just happened to give the .825" 5-shot group. The 284 gr WFN ran the gamut from 887 fps, again with Titegroup to 1174 fps with Longshot. Five shot groups ran from .625" with AA #5 to 5.5" with HS-6. I settled on the 9.5 gr Longshot load giving 1176 fps for a 1.375" 5-shot group at 50 yds. With a 100 yd zero, I was 2" high at 50 and 2" low at 125 yds, my self imposed max range. My 60 yr old eyes just don't decern the fine detail like the use to.

I decided to hunt the 284 gr load of Longshot. About a month back I ran up behind my house, up on the bench, right after work to pop this doe at a layered 101 yds. The shot went a skootch high as the light was fading (old eyes) but it broke her spike directly above the line which goes down behind the shoulder. She dropped in her tracks and slid about 5 yds down through the snow. A follow up shot from 40 yds was necessary. Both shots cut a, eat right up to the hole, swath clean through her.

I'm now hoping to use it for cow elk.

I'm torn between selling the rifle as planned or possibly using it for cow elk, which when the snow is deep, also come down to the bench behind my house. Decisions...Decisions.

Alan

[Linked Image]

That looks like a pretty "fun" rifle. I'd have a hard time letting it go.

Retired cat herder.