Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by GregW

As an aside, I've seen this scenario a few times now with shots below the spine and in the meat. I was lectured on here a while back that there is no location below the spine that isn't fatal. Those folks care to explain this video then that obviously didn't take his spine out?

Looked to me like the first shot clipped the top of the back, not below the spine? I guess we'll never know for sure since he ignored the whole question of where the first shot hit, what the woulnd looked like, and why it didn't put the animal down for good. If it was up to him his "audience" would be left thinking it may have been a "bullet failure."

If he hadn't recovered the animal I'm sure the story would've been "the Hornady eld-x is no good, I hit a muley buck broadside, smoked him, knocked him down, and it got up and ran off. The bullet splattered on the shoulder."

Absolutely Smoke but if that impact was above the spine firmly in the meat (doesn't appear to just nick, blood and lots of hair, hearty impact sound, etc.) I'd have to think that deer couldn't get up like he did. But crap happens as does my speculation...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.