Originally Posted by 603Country
Snowboardguy, that scope will work just fine, and you can use an app Called iSnipe to input your Ballistic info and apply it to that scope. It’ll tell you, at various magnifications, what distance each LRV dot is ‘on’. Of course you can always spend a lot more money for a much better scope, if you want to.

I had a scope like that for a time. It did go back to the doctor once. It’s now on my brother’s 6.5 CM.

Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Originally Posted by fourbore
Oh My god! I could not disagree more. And pseudo profanity no less for Leupold! The 6-18 AO Leupold has got the be the best all around rim fire scope ever produced. Not limited to rim fire, but; for this forum rim fire. You have to spend a lot more to gain anything. Yes my choice 2-7x32 or 3-9x33 for hunting and a 40x for dedicated bench work - but; for all around best compromise and hi quality this 6-18AO is tops. The reticle is a 2nd level decision. I would be fine to simply ignore the hash marks. I never purchase a new rimfire scope with anything other than a fine duplex or maybe fineCH+dot.

What the heck is a hummer or a MQ. Mumbo jumbo, babble talk. Hint? Hint what? I am incoherent, so: I leave hints.

As for hash marks, they look too coarse and this is not a first focal plane scope, so; the moa per hash will vary with magnification. Beyond that, the OP already own the scope. Mount it and try it! Zero at 100 and observe POI out beyond.

Thanks for actually addressing the original question.

Your Welcome. This forum needs some moderator intervention, or not, if folks are happy - fine by me,

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Snowboardguy: A quick check of my on-line Rifle inventory shows I currently have 6 (six) Rifles that are using the wonderful Leupold 6x18 variable scopes. Some of those Rifles are rimfire and some centerfire.
I have yet to have a failure, of ANY kind, with any of my Leupold 6x18 variable power scopes!
That includes any problem with their holding/maintaining point of impact!
All of my Leupold 6x18 variable power scopes have the wonderful and useful "fine Du-Plex" reticles.
I wish I could be more helpful with your interest in the "dot/hash mark system in your spare 6x18 Leupold - just can't directly comment there.
I have been extremely happy with my Leupold 6x18's on my Big Game and Varmint Rifles!
I am certain you will be happy with the 6x18 Leupold you hopefully will have on your 17 HMR - I know I am.
All it will take is a trip to the range and taking notes on where your bullet strikes the targets using the intersection of the crosshairs then where the bullets strike when sighting with the two lower hash marks.
Then test those hashmarks at further distances noting at what range the bullet impacts correspond with point of aim.
I sight my 17 HMR's in at 125 yards then use hold-over for longer shots - this crude "Kentucky hold-over" works rather well for me!
At least a few tons of dead Varmints would attest to that!
Don't let any big mouth idiot try to convince you that the Leupold 6x18's are not useful and reliable scopes!
I have been using them for 20+ years now and I know the truth about them.
PERIOD!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for the helpful posts guys!