Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by T_Inman
But will those RDFs stabilize at 400+ yards and keep that level of accuracy even with that 8 twist?

My limited experience with the RDFs says "no". Try them out though. I may be suprised.

Help me understand your point. 70 grain in a 1-8” is right about smack in the middle of perfect for a 1-8”.

P

That may very well be. What I am saying is that when I was trying the 70 grain RDFs out of a 1/8, they would group just fine at 100 yards like many other bullets. Stretch the range out to 4-500 hundred yards and the RDF's groups would open up considerably where other bullets wouldn't. The 62 TSX, old 75 AMAX and even the dreaded 69 Sierra would stay under MOA but the RDFs wouldn't.

I presume that means they destabilized out at that distance, where the other bullets were not. Maybe I had a bad lot or was doing something wrong. Maybe the RDFs just need more speed than the others. I dunno. If I was only shooting to 100 or so yards, they they'd be just fine I guess but I get bored doing that.

Bullets get more stable as they travel downrange, out to trans-sonic range at least, not less stable.

Gotcha. I didn't know that.

For whatever reason, the RDFs I played with really opened up at a few hundred yards. If stabilization as they slowed down wasn't the problem, do you have a guess as to what was? I am assuming they were still transsonic at 400 yards, but that's just speculation on my part.