Two comments:

1. DEET eats holes in nylon. I use it, a lot, but with care around nylon fabric.

2. From decades of doing this the best solution for me has been a rectangular box style mosquito net from REI. It can be rigged with or without a tarp. It keeps buzzing mosquitoes well away from my ears.

Over my head I hang one straight end of the net by a jury rig under the tarp roof. I don't use any other tie outs, though a person could. The tied up section makes a vertical net wall a few inches to a foot or so past the top of my head when I lie down. The excess netting can drape on the ground or be tucked under a sleeping pad. The roof and opposite end of the rectangular net is pulled down and tucked under the foot and sides of my sleeping bag. As long as my head and shoulders are in a bug free space, I don't care if the net sags down to my sleeping bag from my waist down. If tied up three feet high or more above my head, it makes a bug free space big enough to sit up in. If you want more space, push the side out a ways from inside and set a boot or other weight on it to hold it in place.

When a double bed size net is rigged sideways, three people can sleep side by side with their heads and shoulders inside the bug free space, which is as wide as a full size mattress is long.

The above describes one way to rig up such a net but there are many others including tying up the netting as intended and making a large full size bed space that is bug free.