I was trolling through Gunbroker and snagged a rat-bag Marlin 336RC at a good price.

[Linked Image]

I've already got a nice one in 30-30, so this one is going to be a donor for a project. The problem is, I'm trying to decide what to do.

#1 Option is to send it off to JES and get a Ohio-legal deer rifle built. I currently don't have a rifle that fits the bill.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

It's silly that in Ohio you can hunt groundhog with a 30-06, but not a deer.

I'm thinking 38-55 or 375 Winchester. For a reloader doing either cast or jacketed loads, is there any plusses to either? As I remember 38-55 is cheaper and easier to find, but you can make 375 WIN brass out of 38-55.

#2 Option is to get it bored out to 307 Winchester and hunt with it in Kentucky.

#3 Option is whatever y'all can come up with that looks better.

I'm also wondering what to do with the outside finish. It looks to be in the white in its current state. It's too old to be a stainless. I think it's just had the bluing removed.

1) I've got a local smith that does excellent bluing, but it's going to cost me.
2) I kind of like it as-is, in the white. Is there a good way to put a clear finish on it?

Last edited by shaman; 01/29/19.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer